The newspaper industry continues to struggle with falling circulation and ad revenues shifting from print to online. But, your core asset - your content - is increasing in value; the depth of your archives grows with each new day’s paper, and more people are going online to find content they find interesting and relevant. The key is having a way to repurpose your content, by aggregating, packaging, or distributing it in novel ways, to generate additional revenue.
On a monthly basis our website gets more unique users than the population of Jamaica. Based on these statistics, we were seeking a delivery method that would both provide our readers with news in a format that they prefer and reach them abroad with fresh and relevant information, while at the same time preserving the look and feel of the traditional newspaper. Olive ActivePaper Daily delivered just that.
The Jamaica Observer
Boost Revenues and Grow Circulation
Olive offers newspaper publishers a complete suite of electronic publishing and digital archiving solutions to boost circulation, increase revenue, create new business models, and reduce the cost of printing and distribution. By leveraging the content and processes you already use to produce your daily paper, you can offer BPA/ABC-audited electronic editions, build back-file contextual archives, publish display ads to the Web, generate electronic tearsheets, reach handheld devices, or even create new online-only publications.
The Past is Your Future
Major newspapers around the world such as The Guardian, Irish Times, Sydney Morning Herald, The Scotsman, and The Oklahoman have put their historical archives online, creating a new source of revenue using their existing assets. By making their version of history available through a mouse-click, they have built new business with global customer bases and advertisers and sponsors eager to reach them.
Develop the Next Generation of Readers
Using an e-edition for your Newspaper In Education program lets you deliver information to younger readers in their preferred format, initiating a strong relationship with future subscribers. Using Olive as the foundation of your NIE program gives your teachers a valuable and flexible tool for teaching both current events and history, as well as cementing your role in your community. Olive has a full range of NIE resources including case studies, webinars, and teacher’s guides.
Revenue Boosting Benefits
- Boost ABC-audited circulation - average of 1.8% (Source: March 2006 ABC Publisher Statement)
- Attract new audiences such as expatriates, commuters, snow birds, and younger readers
- Increase profits by selling online issues, display ads, banner ads, free standing inserts, special sections, special editions, keywords, and other rich media
- Monetize valuable content in back issues to sell to customers, businesses, colleges, municipalities, researchers, and others
- Ensure data portability and long-term preservation by converting text, microfilm, and PDF content into rich XML format
- Enhance advertisers’ experience by providing robust search capabilities, ad verification, and archive access
Cost Cutting Benefits
- Reduce printing and distribution costs for newspapers in education programs, mail subscriptions, internal copies
- Save money by enabling staff to easily view every edition of their paper ever published—from their Macs and PCs—for fast, easy research
- Generate cost savings by improving workflow, avoiding expensive processing fees and eliminating courier charges
- Eliminate costs of mail-paid subscriptions, employee copies, and complaint redelivery
- Reduce vacation starts and stops by providing Web-based access to your paper from anywhere
Olive offers the following products for newspaper publishers
ActivePaper Daily - A browser-based electronic edition newspaper that boosts circulation and ad revenue while cutting costs
ActivePaper Archive - A commerce-ready preservation solution that transforms paper, microfilm, microfiche, and electronic newspapers into a centralized, searchable repository
AdLauncher - A turn-key system that gives your print advertisers an online presence by publishing their display ads, special sections, and inserts on the Web quickly and easily
ActiveTearsheet - An automated tool that replaces the traditional tearsheet process and manual page marking systems
Turn Old News Into New Revenue
Download a free white paper that describes how to build a profitable archive business from your existing microfilm and back issue collection.
Reach the Next Generation of Readers
Download a free Teacher’s Guide on how to use Newspapers In Education to expand your presence in the community while boosting revenues and cutting printing and distribution costs.