Q: Why doesn’t Olive Digital Edition work on my Chrome browser any longer?A: Flash is supported, but due to a recent update of the Chrome browser it may need to be enabled. To do so, you must do the following:
- Go to “about:plugins” in the Chrome browser address bar
- Find “Adobe Flash Player” in the list of plugins
- Check the “Always allowed” checkbox
Once Flash is enabled, ODE should start working immediately. Other browser based Flash applications should also start working once this setting is enabled.
Click the image below for a larger view of the plugins settings page.
Q: Does the Olive Digital Edition work with the iPad/iPhone?
A: ODE is a Flash-based web application, which means it is not supported by devices (such as the iPad) that do not support Flash. However, Olive does have both an iPad specific app (called “iReader”) and an HTML5-based application (called “Olive Mobile Viewer” or “OMV”) which is supported by all modern mobile devices that support HTML5 (including iPad, Android, etc). It is up to each publisher to choose whether or not to use either of these Olive applications; if you have questions about whether or not the publication you are attempting to view utilizes either of these applications, please contact your publisher directly.
Q: Does the ODE work for Android phones and tablets?
A: Since ODE is Flash-based, mobile devices that do not support Flash cannot view ODE. For mobile devices (such as Android tablets ) that do have a version of Flash available, ODE will work to a limited extent, but it is not optimized for mobile devices. However, Olive does have an HTML5-based application, OMV, which is supported by all modern mobile devices that support HTML5 (including iPad, Android, etc). It is up to each publisher to choose whether or not to use either of these Olive applications; if you have questions about whether or not the publication you are attempting to view utilizes either of these applications, please contact Olive Support (please let us know which publication you are trying to view) or your publisher directly.
Q: Does the Olive Digital Edition work with IE 10 on Windows 8?
A: Yes, IE 10 on Windows 8 does support ODE. However, the IE 10 implementation on the “Start” screen does not support Flash, so in order to access ODE, you will need to go to the “Desktop”.
Q. Using Olive’s iReader application (native iPad app), how do I clear my cache or log out?
A. To log out of the iReader app on your iPad, or to clear cache, do the following:
- Go to iPad Settings
- Find the app in the list on the left and select it
- In the right-hand pane, set “Enable sign out” to “on”
- Launch the app
- Go to Recent Issues
- To Clear Cache (delete old stored editions, etc.), tap in the lower left corner until you get a popup that says, “Clear Cache?” Hit “Clear”; the app will close
- To Sign-out, tap in the lower right corner until you get a popup that says, “Sign Out?” Hit “Sign Out”; the app will close
- Restart the app
- You can also change the number of issues stored in the iReader app from the iPad settings.
Q: How do I clear cache on various native browsers on mobile devices?
A: Below is a list of instructions for various mobile devices using the default browser. If you are using another browser with your mobile device, please refer to your browser’s help.
- Using the “n” button on the bottom, choose “Web” from the popup menu
- Choose the top right button to select “More Options”
- Choose “Settings”
- Scroll down to “Privacy Settings.”
- Click on “Settings” app
- Scroll down to “Safari”
- Clear “Cookies and Data”
- Choose “Internet”
- Choose “Settings”
- Choose “Privacy and Security”
- Clearing options are in this list
Asus and other Windows 8 Tablets
- Swipe finger from top to bottom (off screen to on screen)
- Click on the Wrench button
- Choose “View on the Desktop”
- Click the gear symbol
- Choose “Internet Options”
- Clear “Delete” under “Browsing History” section
- Choose what needs to be deleted from list
Kindle/ Kindle Fire and HD
- Choose “Web” option
- Choose “Settings”
- Options are under “Saved Data”
For problems displaying an Olive site, please check the following:
- Please clear your browser cache and try again. It’s possible you have cached something corrupt that is causing the problem.
- If you are trying to view the digital/desktop edition, make sure you have the latest version of the Flash plug-in installed (available here: http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer) NOTE: This does not apply to the mobile/tablet edition
- Make sure your browser does not have security settings set to higher than default. This may include adding the domain “digital.olivesoftware.com” as a “trusted site”
- Make sure your computer is free of viruses and malware.
- Try disabling any browser add-ons and see if perhaps one of those is interfering with Olive’s operation.